Company name: Fraser & McLaren
Dates in business: 1866-1875
Company name: Frasers
Dates in business: 1849 to date
Type of business: drapers
Type of company: PartnershipLocations:
Management of company
Hugh Fraser was the senior partner and Alexander McLaren the junior. On Hugh Fraser's death in 1873, James Arthur Fraser, Hugh's eldest son, was immediately assumed as a partner to manage the business alongside Alexander McLaren and his father's trustees: Jane Bunting, his widow, Matthew Pettigrew, Murray Cowbrough and John Snodgrass.
In March 1866, Hugh Fraser went into partnership with Alexander McLaren, the former manager of Arthur & Fraser's retail branch, in order to carry on the retail drapery business of the now defunct Arthur & Fraser. The partners initially rented showrooms in Argyle Street and Buchanan Street, Glasgow. In April 1867, Hugh Fraser purchased the title to these. Shortly afterwards, he demolished the back building and erected a new warehouse. The business now occupied several buildings in central Glasgow, around Argyle Street, Buchanan Street and Morrison Court. These were badly damaged by a fire on 27 March 1872 and William Spence, a local architect, was commissioned to design new showrooms. Building work began in May 1872 and the new showrooms were opened in 1874. They formed a right angle between Buchanan Street and Argyle Street, with entrances to the retail departments from both sides.
Fraser & McLaren sold drapery as well as dining-room, drawing-room, parlour and bedroom furniture and carpets. The partners also furnished ships built in the Clydeside yards as well as hotels and private houses.
Hugh Fraser died 12 February 1873. In 1875, Alexander McLaren retired from the partnership and the business was renamed Fraser Sons & Co.
Records held for Fraser & McLaren:
Related People and Companies: