Registration number: 403637
Company name: William Harvey of Guildford Ltd
Dates in business: 1946-1951
Type of business: drapers
Type of company: Private limited liability companyLocations:
Management of company
In 1950, the chairman was Mrs. Harvey, the widow of the founder of the company, the governing director was Gerald Henry Roxby Wilson, Mrs. Wilson's son-in-law, and the managing director was Denis Arthur Kingsley Pink. Mrs. Wilson, Mrs. Harvey's daughter, was also on the board.
The business was founded in 1922 by William Harvey who purchased the goodwill and assets of a general drapery store in Guildford, Surrey, England. Harvey developed the store as a fashion house. On 24 January 1946, the business was converted into a private limited company, William Harvey of Guildford Ltd, with registered offices at 44-45 High Street, Guildford. In May 1948, the company took a long lease of a substantial property opposite the original premises and this new building was reconstructed into a modern shop. With the enlarged premises, the company experienced an increase in profits. The business specialised in ladies' and children's fashions and accessories but also carried a full range of other stock.
In 1950, the company approached Harrods Ltd offering the business for sale. The offer was rejected.
On 26 April 1951, William Harvey of Guildford Ltd went into voluntary liquidation and was reconstructed and registered on the same day as a new company but with the same name.
Records held for William Harvey of Guildford Ltd:
Related People and Companies: