Registration number: 494825
Company name: William Harvey of Guildford Ltd
Dates in business: 1951-1978
Type of business: department store retailers
Type of company: Private limited liability companyLocations:
Management of company
In 1951, the directors were Gerald Henry Roxby Wilson (chairman and joint managing director), Denis Arthur Kingsley Pink (joint managing director) and Norman E Freeman. At this date the company employed 170 people.
William Harvey of Guildford Ltd was registered in April 1951. It was a reconstruction of a company of the same name, which specialised in ladies' and children's fashions and accessories. Its premises were in Guildford at 44-45 High Street, the Playhouse Arcade, High Street and a freehold house at 21 York Road. The latter was occupied by two employees as service tenancies. The company's share capital in 1951 was GBP125,000.
In 1953, Army & Navy Stores Ltd, department store retailers, of London, England, acquired William Harvey of Guildford Ltd, which continued to trade as part of Army & Navy Stores Ltd. The registered offices changed to 105 Victoria Street, Westminster. The store was expanded and refurbished with the erection of a new five-storey building with a roof water garden. Army & Navy Stores Ltd owned a site in Camberley, Surrey, England, and, in 1960, it was decided to build a new store on that site, at the corner of Park Street and Princess Street which would trade under the name Harveys, as a branch of William Harvey of Guildford Ltd. The store opened on 14 March 1964. The original store in Guildford High Street underwent an upward extension which was completed in the autumn of 1963.
In 1973, Army & Navy Stores Ltd was taken over by House of Fraser Ltd , department store retailers, of Glasgow, Scotland. In January 1974, Harveys of Guildford Ltd was wound up and the stores continued trading as branches of Army & Navy Stores Ltd.
William Harvey of Guildford Ltd was liquidated in 1978.
Records held for William Harvey of Guildford Ltd:
Related People and Companies: