Company name: John Falconer & Co
Dates in business: 1828-1929
Type of business: drapers
Type of company: PartnershipLocations:
Management of company
In 1828, there were three partners: the brothers John, Alexander and George Falconer. The two elder brothers subsequently died leaving George the sole partner of the firm. In 1876, George Falconer made his son, William, a partner in the business. Ten years later, when his father retired, William Falconer became the sole proprietor of the business.
The company was originally founded in 1788 by Alexander Falconer, who opened a draper's shop in Narrow Wynd, Aberdeen. This lane was demolished in 1801 and the shop moved to premises at the south corner of Queen Street and Broad Street. The business continued there for about thirty years.
In November 1828, the business passed to John Falconer's three nephews: John, Alexander and George Falconer. They commenced trading under the name of John Falconer & Co. At this time, the company leased premises at 23 Union Street. Due to an increase in business, larger premises were required and, in 1871, 'The Royal Buildings' at 65 Union Street, a former hotel, was acquired.
In February 1929, the company was acquired by the Scottish Drapery Corporation Ltd, a management holding company, of Edinburgh, and a new limited liability company, John Falconer & Co Ltd, was incorporated to carry on the business.
Records held for John Falconer & Co:
Related People and Companies: