Company name: Switzer & Co Ltd
Dates in business: 1838-
Type of business: Department store retailers
Type of company: Partnership 1838/1890
Type of company: Public limited liability company 1890-1971
Type of company: Private limited liability company 1971-1985Locations:
Switzer & Co Ltd was incorporated on 6th June 1890, with its first chairman being John Wright Switzer. The business was first established in 1838 as a drapers and tailors in premises at 91 Grafton Street, Dublin. As the business expanded towards the end of the nineteeth century, the company acquired Commercial Hall on the corner of Grafton and Wicklow Streets and another buildiing opposite in Clarendon Street. This allowed the buisness to evolve into a department store.
The company became associated with Cash & Co, Cork in the 1960s and had stores in Galway (Moons) and Limerick (Todds) in addition to the flagship store on Grafton Street, Dublin. Switzer & Co Ltd was bought by House of Fraser and Waterford Glass in 1971, House of Fraser buying 40 percent of the business. In 1985, House of Fraser acquired complete control of the company. Switzer & Co Ltd was acquired by the Irish department store retailers. Brown Thomas & Co Ltd in 1995. The Switzer stores have since been refurbished and trade under the Brown Thomas name (2009).
Records held for Switzer & Co Ltd:
Related People and Companies: