Company: David Evans & Co Ltd

Registration number:

Company name: David Evans & Co Ltd
Dates in business: 1900-1977

Type of business: Department store retailer

Type of company: Private limited liability company 1900-1977

  • Temple Street, Swansea, Swansea, Wales
  • Goat Street, Swansea, Swansea, Wales
  • Princess Way, Swansea, Swansea, Wales
  • 47 High Street, Swansea, Swansea, Wales
  • 75 Woodfield Street, Swansea, Swansea, Wales
  • 37 St Helens Way, Swansea, Swansea, Wales
  • Cwmbran, Torfaen, Wales
  • Port Talbot, Neath, Wales

Company history

David Evans & Co Ltd, Swansea was founded in 1900 by Soloman Andrews, a prominent Cardiff businessman, his son Francis Emile Andrews and well-known local draper David Evans. The business opened in premises on the site of the old Theatre Royal which were built by a company belonging to Soloman Andrews and leased to David Evans & Co Ltd. David Evans & Co Ltd bought the building in 1907 and extended the ground floor during 1908 and 1909. David Evans was the first Managing Director of the company, but after the difficult years during the First World War he became disillusioned with business and in 1919 he resigned his position and sold his shares.

The store was completely destroyed during an air raid on 21 February 1941and the company traded from temporary leased premises for the duration of the war. It was not until 1954 that the new building was opened on the same site as the old one. By this time Goat Street had been widened and modernised and renamed Princess Way. Temple Street was now a pedestrianised shopping street.

The company purchased W J Williams, a well-established shop in Port Talbot in 1951, and in 1961 they opened an entirely new store in the new town of Cwmbran Before the destruction of the store David Evans & Co Ltd employed 157 people, which was reduced to 83 at the time the store reopened. The store was expanded in 1958 with the addition of a new floor, and in 1959 a Food Hall was opened. The Andrews family remained heavily involved in the running of the company until David Evans & Co Ltd was sold to House of Fraser in 1977. Arthur Andrews took over from his father, Francis Emile Andrews, as Chairman in 1943. When Arthur Andrews eventually retired as chairman in 1976, when his son Edward took on the role. The store at Swansea was demolished in 2007 for the redevelopement of the site, but the medallions which adorned the side of the store and showed Fashion Through the Ages were preserved and can now be viewed at the Swansea Museum

Records held for David Evans & Co Ltd:

FRAS 1718
Title: Newspaper Articles
Date: 1959-1976
FRAS 1719
Title: Photographs
Date: c1890-1964
FRAS 1720
Title: Staff Magazines
Date: 1960-1964
FRAS 1721
Title: Newspaper Advertisements
Date: 1927-1977
FRAS 1722
Title: Staff Handbook
Date: c1960s
FRAS 1723
Title: Procedures Manual
Date: 1964
FRAS 1724
Title: Hire Receipt Book
Date: c1950s
FRAS 1725
Title: Club Book
Date: c1960s
FRAS 1726
Title: Store Reopening Souvenir Booklet
Date: c1960s
FRAS 1727
Title: Circular
Date: c1900
FRAS 1728
Title: Fashion Extravaganza Programme
Date: 08 October 1975
FRAS 1729
Title: 75th Anniversary Dinner Menu
Date: 14 October 1975
FRAS 1730
Title: 75th Anniversary Dinner Guest List
Date: 14 October 1975
FRAS 1731
Title: Telegrams
Date: 14 October 1975
FRAS 1732
Title: Fashion Extravaganza Poster
Date: 08 October 1975
FRAS 1733
Title: The Story of Solomon Andrews and his Family by J F Andrews
Date: 1976

Related People and Companies:

Corporation name: House of Fraser Plc
Dates of connection: 1982-
Connection type: David Evans & Co Ltd was acquired by House of Fraser Ltd in 1971.

Access points: Department stores - Retail trade

Back to top