Company name: James Howell & Co
Dates in business: 1865-1909
Type of business: department store retailers
Type of company: Private companyLocations:
On 21 October 1865, James Howell opened his drapery shop in a building called Stuart Hall, in the Hayes, Cardiff, Wales. Howell had previously been apprenticed to a draper in Fishguard, Wales, and other traders in both Newport, Wales and London, England. After a number of unsuccessful ventures, he settled in Cardiff to establish his own business. The business was a success, and in August 1867 Howell moved to larger premises in 13 St Mary Street, adding new departments for carpets, furnishings, millinery goods and funeral services at 12 St Mary Street in 1869. The business continued to expand and during the following decade a furniture ware house was acquired in Wharton Street, Cardiff and further shops added in St Mary Street. By 1883, the shop occupied 9-14 St Mary Street and had acquired Biggs Brewery to the rear, fronting Trinity Street. The shop then continued to expand into Trinity Street where new premises were secured to house the furniture departments.
By 1892, the shop had grown to 36,800 square feet and traded under the name James Howell & Co . In the 1890s, Howell acquired more premises in Wharton Street and in Charles Street, Cardiff, and by 1905 employed over 400 staff.
On the death of James Howell in 1909, the ownership of the store passed to his eleven children, with the company becoming a private limited company, James Howell & Co Ltd.
Records held for James Howell & Co:
Related People and Companies: