Company name: William Henderson & Sons Ltd
Dates in business: 1924-1977
Type of business: Drapers
Type of company: Private limited liability company 1924Locations:
In 1924, William Henderson & Sons was registed as a private limited company under the name William Henderson & Sons Ltd. The directors of the company were William and Edward Henderson, grandsons of the original proprietor, William Henderson who established the business in 1829.
In 1920, Edward Henderson retired, leaving William as direcotr until his retirement, due to ill health, in 1948. The new directors, William Gibbons and E S Ouseley, sold the company to Harrods Ltd in August 1949. Richard Burbidge, chairman, and Alan Graham and H Acton, directors of Harrods Ltd, joined the board of directors. In 1959 Harrods was itself acquired by House of Fraser Ltd.
On 22 June 1960, the store was destroyed by fire, with eleven lives lost. The store was rebuilt in 1962 and it continued to trade under the William Henderson & Sons Ltd name until 1975, when became part of the Binns brand. In June 1976, this store, and the Binns' stores in Newcastle-upon-Tyne was put on the market as part of the House of Fraser's strategy to finance their enlarged capital expenditure programme.
Records held for William Henderson & Sons Ltd:
Related People and Companies: