Company name: Arnott & Co
Dates in business: 1860-1891
Type of business: drapers
Type of company: PartnershipLocations:
Management of company
Thomas Arnott was the main partner. In July 1883 he died, and his half brother, Sir John Arnott, a Dublin merchant, acquired his share in the business.
Arnott & Co, drapers, was established in September 1860 by Thomas Arnott, to assume control of the business of Arnott, Cannock & Co, which had just been dissolved. The company initially rented showrooms at 19 Jamaica Street, Glasgow. In 1864, Arnott obtained the title to the premises from the trustees of the City of Glasgow Bank, and greatly improved and extended the showrooms. By 1872, it was one of the largest retail businesses in Glasgow, selling such items as shawls, parasols and carpets as well as haberdashery. In 1874, new costume galleries were opened and premises were acquired in Adam's Court Lane, Glasgow. At the end of 1881, Arnott embarked on an extensive refurbishment programme. A new warehouse was opened in 1882 with counters selling perfume, lace and gloves. A new fancy goods department was also added.
In December 1891, Arnott & Co Ltd was incorporated as a private limited company.
Related People and Companies: