Company name: Thomas Muirhead & Co (Glasgow) Ltd
Dates in business: 1923-c 1947
Type of business: drapers
Type of company: Company limited by sharesLocations:
Management of company
From 1923 to 1937, the directors were William McWhirter, commission agent, John McWhirter, insurance broker, and David Ross, distiller and wine merchant. William McWhirter was the chairman of the directors, John McWhirter the secretary of the company and David Ross the managing director.
In February 1937, the three directors resigned and Hugh Fraser and Iris Ancott Picken were appointed to replace them. Hugh Fraser was appointed chairman of the directors. Irene Constance MacGregor was appointed secretary. Hugh Fraser and Iris Ancott Picken were the sole shareholders of the company,
Thomas Muirhead & Co (Glasgow) Ltd was incorporated on 17 March 1923 under the Companies (Consolidation) Acts, 1908-1917, to acquire the business of Thomas Muirhead & Co, drapers. The company's registered office was 200 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow.
In December 1936, the business was bought by Fraser, Sons & Co Ltd, drapers, of Glasgow. The registered office of the company was changed to 12 Buchanan Street, Glasgow and its property was transferred to Fraser Estates Ltd, which had just been established. In the same year, the premises were purchased and modernised. All partitions, fixtures and pillars on the ground floor were swept away and a new frontage with a spacious arcade was constructed. The refurbished store was formally opened by the Lord Provost on 15 May 1937.
In December 1947, following the liquidation of Fraser, Sons & Co Ltd, Thomas Muirhead & Co (Glasgow) Ltd, together with other assets of Fraser, Sons & Co Ltd, was transferred to House of Fraser Ltd. Thomas Muirhead & Co (Glasgow) Ltd was subsequently liquidated. The name Thomas Muirhead, however, continued to be used by House of Fraser Ltd. The store was re-designed and extended during the early 1950s. In 1959, the store sold ladies' fashions, children's wear and household goods. In 1972, the store's name was changed to Arnotts and the store subsequently closed.
Records held for Thomas Muirhead & Co (Glasgow) Ltd:
Related People and Companies: