Company name: Ponting Brothers
Dates in business: 1873-1974
Type of business: department store retailers
Type of company: PartnershipLocations:
Management of company
Tom Ponting founded the company. He was joined by his three brothers Sydney, John and William Ponting.
In 1873, Tom Ponting, one of four brothers from Gloucester, opened a fancy draper's shop in Westbourne Grove, London. He was joined by his three brothers who bought additional premises at 125 High Street, Kensington followed by 123, 123a and 127 High Street. They soon established a good business in retail fancy goods and silks, supplies for art needlework and even a needlework school. In 1893, the company acquired the building and grounds of Scarsdale House also on the High Street, formerly the mansion of the Curzons of Kedleston. The original premises were replaced by a High Victorian building, designed by George Campbell Sherrin. The business was a profitable concern until 1906 when an ambitious scheme to diversify the trade foundered and the company went into liquidation.
In April 1907, the business was acquired by John Barker & Co Ltd, department store retailers, of London, but it continued to trade under its old name and with its own buying team. The store was refurbished in 1922 and extended in 1923. In about 1929, it was developed southwards along Wrights Lane. In August 1957, John Barker & Co Ltd was acquired by House of Fraser Ltd, department store retailers, of Glasgow. In 1971, House of Fraser Ltd closed Pontings and transferred its entire stock to the lower ground floor of Barkers on Kensington High Street, where it was known as 'Pontings Bargain Basement - The House of Value'. The former Pontings store was sold. It was demolished in the early 1970s and a new complex of shops built in its place. The name Pontings was abandoned for trading purposes in 1974 and the basement was re-named 'Barkers’ Bargain Basement'.
Records held for Ponting Brothers:
Related People and Companies: