In accordance with the Companies Acts, a general meeting of the shareholders was held each year at a place determined by the directors. In addition, special or extraordinary general meetings could be called at any time by the directors or when requisitioned by shareholders with a total holding of at least one tenth of the share capital of the society. Notices of the time and place of ordinary and extraordinary general meetings had to be placed in conspicuous places in each of the society's stores and inserted in the Times, Daily News and Standard newspapers and any other newspapers determined by the general meeting. In 1871, the period of notice was set at fourteen days. This was changed to between seven and fifteen days in 1914, and, in 1949, to at least twenty one days for annual general meetings and meetings for passing special resolutions and fourteen days for other meetings. At each annual general meeting the profit and loss account, the balance sheet and the reports of the directors and the auditors were presented and considered, directors and other officers were elected in place of those retiring by rotation, the remuneration of the auditors was fixed, dividends were declared and any other business was transacted as appropriate. The chair of the meeting was to be taken by the chairman of the directors or, in his absence, the vice chairman, or, in his absence, another director or one of the members. The quorum necessary for the transaction of business was ten shareholders present in person. Any questions were decided by a majority of those present, or, if demanded, by a subsequent poll. The chairman had a casting vote. Any general meeting could be adjourned for any period up to seven days. Minutes of the meetings were taken by the secretary and signed by the chairman. The volumes were kept by the secretary at the company’s registered office.
No tags applied to this record yet.
Log in to add your own tags